This past week has been CRAZY. Everything is happening at once with no signs of slowing down.
- Sunday, The Compulsive Consumer was meant to re-launch as Betty Spender, and instead malfunctioned dramatically.
- Monday saw me frantically – and covertly – trying to live chat with IT support while doing my actual job after only 4 hours panic stricken sleep.
- Tuesday was contractor quote day at the ‘Fixer-Upper’ where I also found out the previous owner had just glued the bathroom tiles to the wall with Liquid Nails. I mean, what the Actual F***? No grout, just tile GLUED to bare plaster!
- Wednesday was conference-call-and-paperwork-city, punctuated by obsessing over the final details of bathroom and laundry design.
- Thursday and Friday are a blur, but I’m sure they involved a bunch of spreadsheets and planning for the new retail season. I’m actually meant to wear glasses, but don’t most of the time, and now find it absolutely necessary after the constant screen-gazing this week. I close my eyes and I see spreadsheet cells with broken formulae. Someone bring me a Gin and Tonic!
- Saturday brought more contractors, and quotes, and solidification of designs and plans and much scraping of Liquid Nails! If I have to make another decision, I will have a breakdown.
- Sunday was full of Ikea trawling and sample tile sourcing and many many brochures followed my much needed bubbles and blue cheese with my friends and yet another late night.
I’m exhausted. My brain has turned to mush. And then I find out Escentual.com go have gone and taken up to 1/3 off their French Pharmacy for the rest of January. It never rains, but it pours!
This kind of decision-making for me is more like leisure time though. I could obsess over the details of what to put in my cart and feel like its the best kind of relaxation. Others might find it anxiety-inducing, but you know, thats why I’m here.
Escentual run this French Pharmacy promotion OFTEN so don’t go and buy it all full price when you don’t have to. Time it right and always get your products 33% off. As for what to buy, I got you. These are my favourites. Tried, tested and constantly repurchased.
French Pharmacy Must-Haves from Escentual
Exactly what it says it is. A milky textured body lotion that is just the right mix of simplicity and luxury. The smell is subtle and cosmetic and the fluid sinks in immediately so you can get dressed straight away. It does contain mineral oil, but my body doesn’t freak out about it like it does over so many other things. 4 pumps will moisturise your whole body. 500ml will last about 3 months of daily use. This is in my cart right now.
I love this stuff! Unfortunately Escentual only ship LRP within the EU but I’ve linked to other stockists in my original review. If you are from within the EU, buy at least 3! Worth it.
If you’ve overdone the exfoliation or your skin is dry, red, chaffed, upset or misbehaving in some other irritated kind of way, this stuff is the cure. Not really something I would leave the house with on my face as the texture is thick and waxy and leaves a coating on your skin similar to when you smear butter over a chicken’s breast before roasting it in the oven. I use it at night and in the morning, the redness has been sucked right out of my skin.
Literally the best lip balm of all time. It achieves the impossible: matte finish but ultra nourishing. Smells like lemon butter and has a thick waxy-oitmenty texture that is imperceptible on men (just looks like fresh smooth lips) and does not interfere with matte lipstick. Perfection.
Tip: buy the pot – the stick version is not at all the same.
One of the first products I reviewed on here. Escentual used to ship this to Australia, but now unfortunately restricts it. If it does ship to you, buy many. Hoard it. Vichy Aqualia is total amazeballs. I am rationing my last one until I can find a way of getting more sent to me. Read why you need it here.
I’m not really sold on the premise this mist still allows you to tan. I don’t tan. My body doesn’t allow it. Its not physically possible for me. Not without burning first. What I do love about Photoderm Bronz Invisible Sun Mist is its an ultra moisturising dry texture oil that turns scaly limbs into glistening gorgeousness at the same time as preventing you from burning. Plus, it doesn’t smell like sunscreen – I loath the smell of sunscreen. It smells like apricots. Such a pleasure to use, and for me thats half the battle with sunscreen. For some reason this time around Bioderma is not part of the French Pharmacy brands on sale. If you’re quick though, you can get Bioderma at 20% off with the code ESCENTUAL20.
For the prevention and cure of congested skin. AND… it also takes care of any left over pigmentation marks those nasty blind red hormonal bumps might leave behind. It has that classic silicone-y texture but does not pill under makeup or moisturiser.
At the regular price of £156 ($255AUD) Darphin’s Stimulskin is at the outer limits of what I’ll consider buying in terms of skincare. If I bought this from the only Australian stockist, Mecca Cosmetica, it would be $299AUD. Clearly, thats not something I will be doing. With Escentual’s 1/3 off though it comes down to $170AUD and for me becomes a no-brainer. Stimulskin Divine Cream has a delicious buttery texture. I can get pretty oily, so I’m usually dubious about heavier textures. I use this as a night cream and it doesn’t break me out or make me oilier. It stops me looking haggard if I’ve been doing too much and not sleeping properly or if I’ve been in a dry environment like a plane. Its the skin equivalent of going home for a meal and your laundry done when you’re strung out. It just takes care of you and you immediately feel and look better. Wrinkles have never been my concern. What I have begun to notice is the affects of gravity on my round face. I could do without the collection of ’roundness’ around my jaw and under my chin, so I combine applying this with some lymphatic drainage and I’m convinced its helping to lift and firm and restore contours.
So, tell me. What’s on your wish list?